Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Time to accept I'm getting old?

  This is also, partly, a sports blog. I do try to compete as an athlete. I didn't really do much in sports earlier in life, I was a music major through college. I went from freshman in high school to late in college without going in a gym. And then, one day, I decided I was going to try that strongman thing.
  Armed only with the Internet and an early 20's zeal I launched into lifting like a mad man. But, I only read about how to get stronger, it wasn't until a couple years ago that it occurred to me that I needed to think about my body like a machine. I had to think about keeping it running instead of just souping it up more and more. Over the last few months I have been trying to figure out more about prehab and maintanence, and trying to turn some things around. Try as I might, I have to accept that I am just getting older and I'll have to try to be smarter.
  I don't do endorsements for things. It is my general idea that most modalities of training and therapy will work on anyone for a while and then they will stop. Furthermore, people want a lot of money for their ideas. Buying the materials to learn something gets expensive, just look at the book bill for college students, ideas cost a lot apparently. That soap box gotten on and off of, here are a couple of things that I have found helpful that can be made low or no cost.
  Mark Verstegen's Core Performance. You can find this book on the interwebs for about $0.18.  Yes 18 cents. It'll cost $4 to ship it, but come on. Mark's facility in Tempe is not only a training ground for NFL and NBA, etc etc leagues with initials. But, he is partnered with John Godina's World Throws Center. Godina may be the most successful shot AND discuss thrower in recent memory/ modern era. He knows something about getting this machine to work like a cannon so I'll trust him on this one.
  Next up is KStar. Mobilitywod.com. My friends have heard mention of this one before. A DPT giving the tools to fix your ails for free is strong juju. Take advantage and realize that there is no end result with Kelly's stuff other than better functionality.
  There is no age of no return when you have to start thinking about this stuff, because the truth is it should be in the routine from the very beginning, but when we are under 30 we just let it fall by the side and don't think about the importance of body maintanence until we start falling apart. A little preachy again today I guess but morning is kind of a weird contemplative time isn't it.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have willy wonka scenes stuck in my head and I'll feel like talking about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment