Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tuesday and my valentine's gift

   So I got a new necklace from Amanda for valentine's day. I had been wearing a pewter Celtic cross because I felt the ideals associated with each arm were things I wanted to keep in my mind and try to pass on to Kaigen. But the thing was about to break. A quick search around the interwebs turned up an artisan on Etsy making hand forged, steel mjolnir hammers with rune inlays. First instinct is to put your initials, right?  After researching the Norse runes a bit the T made an interesting choice. It stands for Tyr. The god of the sky and a son of Odin. The interesting bit is the myth of the sacrifice of Tyr. The great wolf Finnrir became loose in the world and the gods realized they needed to stop him. But, no mortal chain could restrain Finnrir. To distract and buy time while a suitable magical trap could be constructed Tyr presented his open hand to Finnrir and placed it in his mouth as a symbol of peace and goodwill. When Finnrir realized the deception he bit off Tyr's hand. So Tyr or the Anglo Saxon Tiwaz is a symbol of sacrifice, honor, and knowing where ones true strength lies.
  The other rune in my simple bind rune is Dagaz, the symbol for the sun, specifically dawn. The expanded meaning of this rune is that unwavering faith will bring a new beginning and triumph. So the combination is the faith and purposeful sacrifice will lead us to our goals. The Anglo Saxons revered Tiwaz and remembered his sacrifice every week on Tiwazdag.
  So, literally my necklace says Tuesday. But, it's a good set of ideals to try to hold in your mind. Now what this all has to do with anything is that on mornings like this I can either get up and train because I know it's the right thing to do to reach my goals, or I can sit on the couch with another cup of coffee and watch tv.
  Kinda preachy today I reckon. But...a little history in there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment