Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Do you mean hippies?

Amanda has had to put up with this particular flight of fancy many a time and I know it is only barely feasible under the best circumstances. But whatever, dream big or go home right? And this is my little dream.
I kinda want to live in this thing. It's simple and elegant and inexpensive. It can be adapted to your season or environment.  It is a wonderful alternative to traditional housing that cost the arms and legs of your enemies to build, only to rot decay and fall down around you. 
  But, more specifically I want to put one of these out in the country and implore other friends to put up similar alternative shelters with me. In my head we form sort of a wagon circle around a central lifting and throwing facility with a couple fire pits. Several families living happily and cooperatively as peaceful modern primitives. Training and eating together or separately as we desire. 
  It would be my plan to have several small fields and try to grow as much of our fruits and vegetables as possible, perhaps raising chickens for eggs and meat, or hunting. I imagine we could install enough solar panels to provide free power for necessary lighting at night and powering freezers for storage. We would still need part time jobs I suppose, enough income to buy clothes and various items etc.  Every couple years I seem to burn out a coffee pot. 
  It's a little crazy, but I think it would be good for all. Our children would learn valuable skills that just don't get shared anymore. And, they would learn that everyone pulls their weight, everyone has to help out. It's not really that crazy an idea it's just different. I've reached the age where I am starting to get weighed down by material possessions, I just don't want things anymore. My favorite gifts recently have been the necklace that got its own post last week, a new razor and a pocket knife. They are useful, or symbolize something that I feel strongly about. I can think of a truck load of things taking up space in our house that don't serve a purpose right now, or haven't been touched in quite a time. Yurt living would definitely solve some of the junk problems because it would HAVE to be pared down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment